At TCFSM we offer Sports Injury Prevention Screenings for a variety of athletes and sports.
Our screenings of athletes are used to identify the current musculoskeletal condition of the athlete. Ideally screenings should be performed early in pre-season, and can also involve the use of sport specific fitness testing to assess the athletes’ preparation for sport.
Information gathered can help:
- Identify past and current injuries, which can lead to specific exercise prescription aimed at managing the condition and preventing further injury.
- Highlight differences between athletes. This can then direct conditioning training programs to be set for various levels of fitness, to encourage the lower level athlete to strive to be able to compete with their teammates in training and games.
- Determine physical changes over time, which is particularly important in the growing athlete and athlete participating in long hours of training/competition.
- Assist exercise prescription for musculoskeletal conditioning involving Exercise Physiology and Physiotherapists to decrease your risk of getting injured.
A typical physical screening of athletes includes measurement of:
- gait assessment
- muscle length and joint mobility
- muscle strength
- neuromuscular assessment
- functional-specific testing
- sports specific screening
Injuries that can be prevented include a back injury, ankle sprains, muscle tears such as hamstring strains and an ACL injury. Our screening sessions at TCFSM can help determine your risk of injury and deign an injury prevention exercise program specific to your sport.
All screenings performed at TCFSM are 45 mins in duration and are tailored to meet the needs of the individual. All our injury prevention screenings align with the latest research in sports injuries.
On completion of our screenings you will receive comprehensive summary report with all test results and recommendations for an injury prevention exercise program.
Our range of screenings include:
- General Medical and Musculoskeletal Screenings – performed by TCFSM Sports Doctors
- Sports specific screenings – Netball, Basketball, AFL, Soccer, Rugby, Athletics, Swimming, Gymnastics.
- Physiotherapy Functional Movement Screening – Identifies movement dysfunction and asymmetries in our everyday movement tasks which are risks for injury.
- Strength Testing – Hand Held Dynamometry Assessment (for Hips and Shoulders)